St. Albert’s College
St. Albert’s College, Ernakulam is an offshoot of St. Albert’s High School, which was established in 1892 by His Grace The Most Rev. Dr. Leonardo Mellano, Archbishop of Verapoly. It is a Roman Catholic Latin Christian minority Educational Institution catering primarily for the upliftment of backward and minority communities in the city of Ernakulam.
The School was upgraded to a 2nd Grade College in 1946 affiliated to University of Madras. Thus the Institution is having more than a century old tradition of educating the students of Kochi City with a special focus on the less-privileged ones. St. Albert’s College is an accredited first grade Arts, Science and Commerce College affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala, India. With twelve degree courses, nine postgraduate courses and five research centres, the institution is well acclaimed for its academic excellence and is a name to reckon with in the sports, literary and extra-curricular fields.
The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) has accredited the College at the ‘A’ level. The college owes its origin to the farsightedness and vision of its founder patron, Most Rev Dr Joseph Attippetty, the first Indian Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Verapoly, Greatly concerned by the lack of educational facilities for the members of his diocese, His Grace ventured upon the mission of starting a new college at Ernakulam, the then capital of the Former State of Cochin. His efforts bore fruit in 1946 when the University of Madras accorded sanction to His Grace for starting a second grade college.
The college began functioning on 16th of July, 1946, in the old St.Albert’s High School building, situated in front of the present college campus with 150 students in the first year intermediate class. Degree courses were introduced in 1947. Subsequently classes were shifted to the new building just opposite to the old school building in 1951. In 1958, when the Kerala University Act came into force, the affiliation was shifted to the Kerala University.
In 1983 when the Mahatma Gandhi University was established, the college became affiliated to the Mahatma Gandhi University. Today with 12 undergraduate courses, 10 post graduate courses (including a Masters program in Business Administration and 5 Research Centres leading to Ph. D., St. Albert’s College in indeed a front runner in the field of higher education.
The college celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1996-1997 and there began a new era of job oriented courses. During the time of the Most Rev. Dr. Daniel Acharuparambil, the former patron who was a visionary and philosopher, the college reached new heights in academic excellence. In 2009, the college was awarded ‘A’ Grade by NAAC. In 2013, the college was recertified for ISO 9001:2010 by TUV Rheinland. Years have gone by. Long strides have been taken by the college in its development. Today under the benevolent patronage of His Grace Most Rev. Dr. Joseph Kalathiparambil, St.Albert’s College is marching ahead to higher echelons in the field of higher education.